In the last year the search engine selection, at least among the larger players has vastly diminished. This year Yahoo decided to no longer be a unique search engine and is now completely powered by Bing results (both organic and paid listings) and recently Ask.com waved their white flag and have basically announced they are no longer going to compete in the search space and be a search engine. That basically leaves us with two large players left – Google and Bing.
But….all is not lost! There are some new players coming on the scene and while they may not topple the Google and Bings of the world, they do offer us some new and unique opportunities within the search space. Below is a list of 3 of the new(er) search engines available. I decided to let their descriptions from their own ‘About Us’ pages doing the taking for each one. I recommend that you try them all and see what you take is on them.
Using BweezyWeb, Bweezy makes web search faster than ever by allowing the user to open multiple search results in the original browser window without having to leave the search page. All the user has to do is click a button next to the search result, causing an embedded BweezyWindow with the desired website to open up on the page. This allows you to immediately see whether that search result is what you’re looking for. No more having to open a bunch of tabs or windows! The Bweezywindow can also be maximized and minimized, allowing the user to check each search result out in either full screen or half screen – either horizontally or vertically – and if desired, use the Bweezywindow as a browser window.
Search Engine Link – Bweezy
blekko is a better way to search the web by using slashtags. slashtags search only the sites you want and cut out the spam sites. use friends, experts, community or your own slashtags to slash in what you want and slash out what you don’t.
web search bill of rights:
1. Search shall be open
2. Search results shall involve people
3. Ranking data shall not be kept secret
4. Web data shall be readily available
5. There is no one-size-fits-all for search
6. Advanced search shall be accessible
7. Search engine tools shall be open to all
8. Search & community go hand-in-hand
9. Spam does not belong in search results
10. Privacy of searchers shall not be violated
Search Engine Link – blekko
48ers was created to help you search for what’s happening right now.
We trawl conversations from all the major social networks across the web to bring back nuggets of information to help you:
* Discover what people are saying about your company or brand
* Find out what other people think of the TV shows you’re watching
* Be the first to find out about breaking news stories
* Tap into the public mood about the latest sporting events
Search Engine Link – 48ers